*** PLEASE READ AND RESPOND BY NO LATER THAN NOON WEDNESDAY, NOV 6, 2019 ***
Greetings Paella Lovers,
On behalf of the Paella Lovers United Team we would like to inform your team that due to the ongoing Burn Banin Hays County we will not be able to have open fires this coming Saturday, November 9, 2019 at our 17th Annual Cook-off. The cookoff is an outdoor event and as such is always subject to the conditions of nature and weather, rains and droughts included. We have been monitoring this situation closely with Hays County authorities for over a month and today, the Hays County Fire Marshall, Scott Raven, finally told us that even though they did have some rain out at Camp Ben McCulloch last week, it wasn’t enough to lift the open fire ban.
We can all agree that this is an unfortunate situation and one that has taken us by surprise given the recent rains. We know that this completely changes the dynamics of the event. In the 17 years we’ve held this event we have only had to cancel the open fire competition once, in 2011. As a “lesson learned,” moving forward, we will let teams know upon signing up to be prepared to cook with an alternative source if environmental conditions are not favorable for open fires. We assure you that this is not a permitting issue, it is a county ruling. That is, there is no permit that can be obtained as a work around the ban.
Now that we’ve gotten the bad news out of the way, let’s work together to ensure a great event for all. The competition will continue and we want you there! In order to compete under these new circumstances, your process will change.
Please see the next two steps below and let us know your decision by Wednesday, November 6, 2019 no later than noon.
If you are IN:
- We would like to thank you for your continued support.
- You will receive $50 reimbursement,payable on the day of the event, to help offset expenses.
- You still have a chance to win some awesome prizes!
- You have two (2) options for cooking:
Propane: Use a paella burner and propane. We recommend you use the proper size burner for the pan in use, this includes the gas hose, a propane tank, and a tripod or some form of mounting setup such as blocks to set your burner on.
Food Grill: as per the Hays County Website: Food grills with lids are allowed. You will have to provide your own fuel source for your grill. If you have any questions please contact us.
- Burners and rings are available online such as Amazon Prime and Home Depot (and others) and if ordered soon, can be received in time for the event. Some Links below:
- Please know that all other Rules of Engagement are still in effect
If you are OUT:
We are sorry to see you leave and sincerely regret any inconvenience. You have two options for your tickets:
- No Refund Option:You are still welcome to attend the event as a guest with the discounted team and Team Special helper tickets.
- Refund Option: We will refund you the $35 registration fee, which gave you three team tickets, and any Special Team discounted tickets with the Promo Code (if used). ALL purchased tickets will be voided.
A Paella Lovers United teammate will follow up with a phone call by Tuesday Nov 5, 2019 to ensure you have reviewed this email.