Paella Lovers United – Rules of Engagement 2018.
TEAMS – PLEASE READ THIS SECTION THOROUGHLY BEFORE SIGNING UP!
THIS LIST IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE (Last update September 10, 2018)
Thank you for your interest in Paella Lovers United. An Austin,Texas-based paella group. If you are interested in becoming a team contestant, here are the guidelines we are requesting.
Rules of Engagement: Quick Version
- Teams agree to pay a $29 (+ service fee) non-refundable, registration fee. Only one (1) Team Bundle per team allowed.
- Teams agree to have no more than three team members whose entry is included in the non-refundable fee.
- Teams agree they may pay a discounted rate upon receiving a DISCOUNT CODE for up to three additional helpers and that NO un-ticketed helpers will be allowed into the event.
- Teams agree to use a minimum size pan of 26.”
- Teams agree to do basic prep offsite, in advance.
- Teams agree to prepare paellas on an open fire and not propane/burner
- Teams agree to adhere to the start and end times assigned.
- Teams agree and acknowledge that all competition paellas belong to the event and are intended to be served to the judges and the public.
- Teams agree to read through the judging criteria in advance of the event
- Teams agree to be properly registered and have a valid and working email.
Rules of Engagement: Detailed Version
* Please remember that this is still a community style event. Competition is lively, but certainly friendly. There will be close interaction with other teams and patrons. Embrace them as we are family.
- Team Entry Fee
There is a small $29 (+ service fee) non-refundable fee per team for competing. One (1) and only one (1) Team Bundle per team allowed.There is considerable expense in putting on this event, including venue rental, setup, nonprofit sponsor contributions, wood, and other expenses. We hope you understand. If you would like more information regarding this, please contact us at email@example.com.Deposits can be made through EventBrite as seen on the website:
http://paellaloversunited.com > Annual Cook-off Team Registration
- Team Members
A team is a collective group dedicated to making and presenting a paella for the event. Nobody may purchase a Team Bundle entry and not have a competition paella. Each team is allowed a maximum of 3 core members. All team members entry fees will be included with the team deposit. All three team members will be issued an e-ticket to enter. Up to three additional Helpers may make use of the Team Special Promo Code (see item 3). Any team tickets purchased without having an actual team, either competing or non-competing, will NOT be valid and will be denied entry at the gate.Upon signup and payment, you will receive an email confirmation for PayPal and your team member (3) e-tickets. You MUST bring copies of your e-tickets to the event. This will allow three (3) and only three team core members to participate as a team.
- Team Helpers
Once again, we are offering a Special Promo Code for half price entry for up to three (3) additional team Helpers per team. (Helps for those with significant others to cheer them on). After team registration and payment, you will be issued a special promo code to purchase these tickets at a discount. All other team supporters, family members, and friends, will be subject to the regular event entry
- PAN SIZE
Teams are required to provide their own Paella pans and highly recommends they provide their own trivets (PLU trivets will still be on-hand on a limited basis) – 26 inch (65cm) minimum required. Larger Pans are permitted and encouraged. FYI: A 26 inch pan can feed approximately 19 – 25 people.
For sizing, etc see: http://www.paellapans.com/Carbon-Steel-s/34.htmTeams are strongly encouraged to label/tag their pans and other equipment for identification purposes. Paella Lovers United is not responsible for lost or stolen items.Teams not meeting pan size requirements will be disqualified.
There are a number of excellent websites which provide pans and their
paella related material. Here are a few, but there are many more available online:
http://labodegagourmet.com (Local Austin Company – Mention Paella Lovers for a 15% Discount)
- FOOD PREP
Basic food prep should be done offsite. All cooking of paella ingredients must be done onsite. Stocks may be prepared in advance. However, Sofrito must be made onsite.
Above and beyond all else, ALL food prep and serving must be done in a CLEAN, SAFE and SANITARY manner. All meats, seafood, protein products must be properly contained and refrigerated as necessary prior to the actual making of the dish. Foods must be properly cooked and prepared in the manner that the food and/or dish calls for. No raw seafood, etc. Any unsanitary setups can and will be dis-qualified.
Teams should plan on bringing their own prep tables, stools, chairs, trivets, etc… A list of the items Paella Lovers United will provide on site is below as well as list of suggested items to bring.
6. OPEN FIRE
All competition paellas must be prepared over an open, wood burning fire.The Main Fire and fire handling tools will be provided and maintained by Paella Lovers United. Teams are highly encouraged to bring their own pan support system (trivets, cinder blocks, etc) though PLU will have a number of 12″ fire trivets (tripod) for borrowed use. Teams will be responsible for controlling and regulating their own site. *NO* unsafe practices will be allowed. Use of team provided flavoring wood is permitted.
Team members and helpers must act with safety for themselves and others around the open fires. Teams with children must keep their loved ones away from all open fires. Due to the Fire Marshall’s requests, there shall be no playing with fires of any sort.
7. START AND END TIMES
Teams will be assigned a firepit. Each team will have a total of 3 hours on their allocated firepit, including clean up and clear out time. At the end of your allotted time period, you will need to be completely cleared out for the next group of teams. Points will be deducted for teams who run late on firepits.
“Pans Up” ready times are:
Pans Up Time Cook Time Clear Out Time (site clean and cleared)
12:30 pm 10:00 am – 12:30 pm 1:00 pm
2:00 pm 11:30 am – 2:00 pm 2:30 pm
3:30 pm 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm 4:00 pm
Teams must clean-up their fire-pit and prep areas and make way for the next wave of teams immediately upon their “Ready” time.
8. TEAM PAELLAS/SERVICE PROCEDURE
- At pans-up, all teams should be ready to deliver their paellas to the serving area under the main pavilion. Volunteer “Pit Bosses” will guide this process. At the pavilion, a judge or volunteer will take a picture of each team and their paella so judges can reference to score appearance as they are tasting the paellas.
- Judges will serve a portion of each team’s paellas in an 8” paella pan labelled with the team name. This is what the judges will use to score for taste.
- Volunteer servers will serve one plate of paella to each team. Teams should not plan on serving any of the paella they make.
- Volunteers will be responsible for serving the paellas to the public. This is to ensure the lines flow quickly and help avoid bottlenecks.
9. JUDGING CRITERIA
There are numerous varieties of paella. However, the competition will be grouped into two broad categories.
- Traditional will be judged on how well the dish represents the true to form Spanish traditions
- Keep Paella Weird is everything else. The variety is endless and we encourage creativity.
Judging will be based on a pre-defined set of criteria. Items such as quality of the rice, texture, caramelization, presentation, etc. However, teams are encouraged to be creative in line with the spirit of the event. This criteria is available from the website:
http://paellaloversunited.com > Annual Cook-off Team Registration > Judging Criterion
10. TEAM REGISTRATION
Each team is required to have a team name and team captain for contact purposes. Team Captain is responsible for organizing, communicating with the event planners and keeping their team on schedule and in line with the rules of engagement.
Each team MUST have a VALID and WORKING email address for e-ticketing and communication purposes. It is the responsibility of the Team Captain to ensure communication with the event. Please check email Inboxes and SPAM boxes. Paella Lovers United will not be responsible for missed communication. It would be helpful if the team captain would also provide email addresses for their team members to facilitate communication.
Paella Lovers United reserve the right to eliminate any team not abiding by the Rules of Engagement or engaging in unsafe, unhealthy, unsanitary or unruly conditions or practice. Paella Lovers United also reserves the right to add or substitute Teams at their discretion (i.e, Standby Teams, etc).
What Paella Lovers United will provide:
* Fire pits, Main Fire, fire tools (shovels, etc) and metal trivets for supporting their pans, though Paella Lovers United highly encourage Teams to provide their own trivets.
* Safety water hoses and fire extinguishers will be nearby in case of emergency.
* Full size wash basin and cleaning table.
* Small 8″ paella dish/pan to provide to judges.
* Hand washing station.
* Limited prep table space.
* Water, trash pickup, etc.
* Prizes for teams (to be determined).
How to Sign up:
* Visit the website at
http://paellaloversunited.com > Annual Cook-off Team Registration
and follow the instructions and fill in are requested information including team name, contact info, etc. If your READY TIME is available, you can have it. Otherwise, we will try to assign the next closest time. Please remember that there is a $29 non-refundable deposit which can also be paid through the website.
* You will be contacted for confirmation, team check-in procedures, parking, unloading and we will available to answer questions via email prior to the event. firstname.lastname@example.org